Saturday, May 8, 2010

HERO

I just remembered this story because I was asked today what the most amazing thing that I have ever done was. It isn't much, but it brings back pleasant memories and a very warm smile...

Back in my university days I was chilling outside with some friends one day when the neighbour's kid came in distraught and in tears. Their lamb had been hit by a car...

Out of curiosity and solidarity my friends and I went to the scene of the accident. The lamb lay there on its side, still and bleeding through its nose, unable even to gasp for breath. It was dying a very slow and painful death which was traumatic to witness. Furthermore, its mother stood there by its side bleating, nuzzling and licking him. The scene was so touching, and without thinking about it I moved into action. I gently picked up the little lamb and took it back to my neighbour's house which was just around the corner. I checked for signs of breath by putting a piece of mirror in front of its nose. It misted a little so I knew there was some amount of breath going in and out and it wasn't too late to help. I then, to the shock of everybody around, proceeded to give the lamb mouth-to-mouth!

At this point everybody wanted to help. If this crazy guy actually gave a lamb mouth-to-mouth we surely can do something too, here's a life worth saving! We gently bound the lamb to a ply-wood board because it had cracked ribs, and we fixed one of its legs on a splint because of suspected damage. From time to time I'd give mouth-to-mouth and we just stayed there nursing her as best as we could. Luckily it was weekend and we had all the time...

The next day a friend of mine who was a vet student came by and administered some antibiotics, and after a few more days of TLC the lil lamb recovered. The feeling of fulfilment I felt because of this is indescribable...

Now how's that for a story? Be sure to tell your friends that you met a real-life hero today... ME! Haha :)

1 comment:

  1. Like I said on CS (yep that's where I came from! lol), this story is totally touching! It's amazing that you were able to save that poor lamb!

    ReplyDelete